Shaykh Muḥammad Nāṣir ad-Dīn al-Albānī رحمه الله (d. 1420 AH/1999 CE), more commonly known as simply Shaykh al-Albānī, was a prominent & very influential Muḥaddith & Faqīh from Albania, usually regarded as one of the greatest scholars within the field of Ḥadīth in our era; leading him to be called by some the Mujaddid (Reviver of Islām) of our time. He was known & sometimes referred to as “The Muḥaddith of Albania.“
Many scholars in recent history were aware of Shaykh al-Albānī, & over time his status only continued to rise significantly. Some notable scholars have said regarding him:
- “The brother, the Salafī, the scholar, Shaykh Nāṣir ad-Dīn.” – Shaykh Muḥammad Ḥamid al-Fiqī رحمه الله (d. 1378 AH/1959 CE)
- “And he is the upholder of the Sunnah, a supporter of the truth, and an opposition to the people of falsehood.” – Shaykh Muḥammad ibn ʾIbrāhīm al-ash-Shaykh رحمه الله (d. 1389 AH/1969 CE)
- “I have not seen under the surface of the sky a person knowledgeable of Ḥadīth in our current-time the likes of the great scholar, Muḥammad Nāṣir ad-Dīn al-Albānī. He is the Mujaddid (Reviver of Islām) in my opinion, and Allāh knows best.” – Shaykh ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz ibn ʿAbdullāh ibn Bāz رحمه الله (d. 1420 AH/1999 CE)
- “I say, the Shaykh, may Allah have mercy upon him, is above what is said about him. If we were to mention his Manāqib (virtues), even if it took a long time or if it took hours, we would not have covered anything in terms of what he did in aiding the Sunnah; for he is the Imām and Reviver of the Sunnah, and the Sunnah was not known in this manner except through him, may Allah The Exalted have mercy on him.” – Shaykh ʿAbd al-Karīm al-Khuḍayr حفظه الله (See Sharḥ Lamiyyah Shaykh al-Islām 2/32)
- “From what I came to know of the Shaykh through my gatherings with him, and they were few, was that he was very serious about acting upon the Sunnah and fighting against the innovations, and this was regardless of whether it was about belief or actions. As for through my readings of his written works, then I have come to know that about him, and that he also possesses a vast amount of knowledge of Ḥadīth, in terms of reporting them and investigating them. Allāh has benefitted many people through what he has written about such as knowledge, aspects of the Manhaj, and concern for Muṣṭalaḥ al-Ḥadīth.” – Shaykh Muḥammad ibn Ṣāliḥ al-‘Uthaymīn رحمه الله (d. 1421 AH/2001 CE)
- “Indeed, there cannot be found an equal in terms of the knowledge of Ḥadīth like that of Shaykh Muḥammad Nāṣir ad-Dīn al-Albānī. Allāh has given benefit through his knowledge and his books numerous times more than what has been accomplished by those zealots for Islām who act upon ignorance, those who organize reformation and revolutionary movements. I sincerely believe and I am convinced that Shaykh Muḥammad Nāṣir ad-Dīn al-Albānī is from the Mujaddidīn (Revivers) whom The Prophet ﷺ spoke the truth of when he said: ‘Indeed Allāh raises up from this Ummah at the beginning of every century someone who will revive it for them.’ [Sunan Abū Dāwūd #4291].” – Shaykh Muqbil ibn Hādī al-Wādiʿī رحمه الله (d. 1422 AH/2001 CE)
It has also been mentioned that Shaykh Muḥammad al-Amīn ash-Shinqīṭī رحمه الله (d. 1393 AH/1973 CE) respected the Shaykh so much so that when he would see him passing by while giving a lesson in the Masjid of Madīnah, he would pause his class just to stand & give Salām to the Shaykh out of respect for him.
May Allāh have abundant mercy upon Shaykh Muḥammad Nāṣir ad-Dīn al-Albānī, reward him for his many contributions to the religion of Islām, and allow him to enter Jannah behind The Prophet ﷺ. I ask Allāh to also have abundant mercy upon all the Shuyūkh mentioned & reward them for their likewise many contributions to the religion of Islām.
All praise is due to Allāh, may His peace & blessings be upon our final Prophet Muḥammad, his family, his companions, & all those who follow him in guidance.
Biography of Shaykh al-Albānī within his book Ṣifah Ṣalāh an-Nabī (صفة صلاة النبي) | Pages 15-17
Ṣafīullāh Labīb ibn Salīm ʿAbd al-Malik
12th of Muḥarram 1444